Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Where are you headed?


I spent quite a few years teaching children to express themselves; developing skills of communication. One of my favorite tools was the photograph.

Seeing an image like this one would be a great "story starter" for many students. We would spend a few minutes brainstorming potential ideas about the what, the where, the why, the who and the how. I'd put on some classical music that I thought might work with the photo's mood and off they'd go writing down their stories. Great stories too, because they were so fresh and uninhibited.

What about today? What is something that gets your imagination flowing? Do you make time to be creative, or do you fill your time with tasks that simply have to be done? I know we have those to do lists; I often joke that mine should be written on a roll of toilet paper since it just goes on and on! But if we are just about "getting things done" how are we fulfilling the role that we are really here to fill? If we are just about "getting things done" isn't it easy to lose our bearings, to lose sight of the big picture as we are caught up in the details of life?

As I look at this photo and I know exactly which way I was going and who I was traveling with. I remember the purpose of our trip, the moods we were experiencing and the talks we were having. This particular trip was local; a drop what we were doing and let's go for a drive to shoot pictures experience.

So stop for a moment, look at this photo, and ponder what you can do today to allow your creative outside the box self some wiggle room. Stop and reflect on the big picture of your life and think about "where am I headed?"

I'd love to be in the discussion with you....

No comments: